Skip to main content

Time for Reflection


This time last year looked very different for me.  It included early mornings, meditation, some reading, cooking, errands, writing.  I indulged in tending the vegetable garden, hanging flower baskets and flower beds and sitting in my small world of my back deck, visiting the birds, with a warm dog on my lap and one at my feet.  


I indulged in comfortable, stretchy skirts and tights, lots of bare feet that allowed me to move and flow and feel connected to my body and the world around me.  Visits with Sista and her Lemon on Thursdays provided support and love and laughter.  The backyard second home was up and Youngest and I indulged in fresh, outdoor, cricket serenaded sleepovers almost every night.

I smiled more, and people smiled back.  I slept better, ate better, exercised more and practised self-care so that I could be a better me---for me.   (Which has the lovely side effect of making you a better you for those around you!)

Now, I am back to work, fulltime, with a full plate of projects and a looming reassignment.  Youngest and Middle are both playing baseball up to 6 days a week between them and Oldest is living back home on an eight month co-op placement, commuting to the city each day via train.  Middle lives with us fulltime now and the house is busy and hectic with more mouths and hands and hearts and needs and wants and personalities.


"This is too much for you!"

"You are better than most people at work, you NEED to prove it!"
"No wonder
you are gaining weight, you stopped going to the gym so much loser!"
"See you have started forgetting things you are so busy, does this seem familiar? You are headed for another crash!"
"Do you know what you should be doing instead of sitting watching Youngest play baseball!!!!  You are wasting time!" 


Yolanda, who embodies them all looks at me with raised eyebrow, head tilted to the left, evaluating my ability to defend against this propaganda.  It's a strategy thing---when to let them loose so they can do the most damage.  


I see the challenge in front of me.  They are reaching out around her, eager to fly at me and grab hold.

But I SEE them.  And that is why she waits.  

I recognize that with work and baseball and dogs and three hungry, growing boys who require rides and food and clothes and clean things to wear.  I acknowledge that work is about to ask a whole lot more of me which may creep in to my carefully protected 9-5.  I see the numbers on the scale and I am aware that some of my food choices have been motivated by lack of time to prepare.

"This is too much for you!" becomes: this is a lot for anyone--I recognize some days may be stressful and I may be tired and I may not get it all done. That's OK!

"People wonder what value you have at work after being off for 2 years.  You need to prove yourself!" becomes, I have so many new tools to manage change and stress and people that it is reflected in my work. Who I am and what I do speaks for itself.  

"No wonder you are gaining weight, you stopped going to the gym so much loser!" becomes:  I can't possibly fit the same amount of gym time into my week, so I will go when I can, try to get out for walks at lunch and stay healthy.


"See you have started forgetting things you are so busy, does this seem familiar? You are headed for another crash!" becomes :  I AM busy.  I have more things to manage than I have in a long time.  I may forget things as I work to find better ways to remember everything. I will work on this.


"Do you know what you should be doing instead of sitting watching Youngest play baseball!!!! 

You are wasting time!"  becomes:  baseball time is a time to connect with my child and other parents and feel a part of a community.  Not only is it a social experience for me, I get to, not HAVE TO, spend time supporting Youngest in what has turned out to be, something he loves to do and is GOOD AT!!!  I cannot do it all and have made choices to let some things go to make room for this.  Baseball time is self-care time for me as well!

The IMGs fall silent.  I think I was shouting that last one.  Yolanda turns, and extending her arms, herding the crestfallen IMGs back to where ever they live when their voices are small.  

They'll be back ......

...and I'll still be here....

a work in progress.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Asking for Help

My oldest son walked into the kitchen last night while I was drying the pot I had just used to make marshmallow squares.  He leaned against the wall, eyes downcast, unfocused and spoke in a soft voice: "Mom.  Tomorrow.  Just so you know.  Something has happened and I cannot remember a SINGLE thing about ANY of the stuff that will be on the exam.  So.  Just so you aren't expecting anything.  I am going to fail the exam.  Probably need summer school.  Will have to quit my job.  Will get my university offer rescinded. But it is probably too late for summer school so.  It is just all over." I put down the pot and gave him a hug.  (no hug back) I told him it was fine. He was fine. He remembered stuff--he had an 87 going into the exam! You can't have marks like that if you don't remember stuff?! Right? I could see the tears forming in his eyes.  He still wouldn't look at me. "Ok.  Get your jacket we are going for a walk.  Your brain is in overload a

Being Enough

I am grateful that the chapters in The Gifts of Imperfection are short.  Each one overflows with concepts that ask you to reach down to your very core and dig around a bit with a sharp object.  Sometimes you have to pull back and take a break.  Like at the dentist...when you have to put your hand up...they let you close your mouth for a minute....you stretch your jaw....rinse maybe.  "You ok to continue?" You lie back, take a breath, try to get comfortable, open up, look at the outline of the hand holding the drill backlit by that horrible light...and nod. Not to say it is all bad.  But this chapter on Exploring the Power of Love, Belonging, and Being Enough made me uncomfortable in my skin.  I squinted a lot.  Really, really trying to get at what she was saying without having to feel what she is saying....which is not the purpose.  So I had to read the chapter a few times.  Then I fiddled around on Facebook and Outlook to avoid starting this post. She starts out